After 6.5 years, Indrani Mukerjea, who is the main defendant in the murder of her own daughter Sheena Bora, was released from Byculla prison on Friday May 20. She was seen accompanied by her lawyer Sana Raes Khan. She was seen walking out of jail with a smiling face and dyed hair.
In a brief interaction with the media right after his release from prison, Indrani said, “I am very happy. I feel like a free bird. I have no plans for the future. For now, I want just go home,” adding that his mantra has always been “just empathy and forgiveness. I’ve forgiven everyone who hurt me.” Indrani was released on bail by the Supreme Court on May 18 and said the case was based on circumstantial evidence.
“I am writing something, you will soon know”: Indrani Mukerjea
A few hours later, after reaching his lawyer’s residence, Mukerjea said: “Today I just wanted to look at the sky at night, I haven’t seen it for 6 years. I have no plans to I will go have a cup of coffee with my lawyer. I have complete faith in Indian law. I will not talk about the case. I feel free and enjoying it. I am very happy now. Everyone should have faith in Indian justice system. I’m writing something (a book) but it’s not about jail, you will know more about it soon. The case is in court, so I can’t talk about my case. If you want information, please talk to my lawyers.”
Here is a timeline of the Sheena Bora murder case:
- April 24, 2012 – Sheena’s employers receive her resignation letter which the CBI later claims was sent by her brother Mikhail after his death.
- May 23, 2012 – Local police find a decomposed body in Raigad district of Maharashtra. The CBI later claimed it was Sheena’s body.
- August 21, 2015 – Shyamvar Rai, the former driver of Indrani Mukerjea, arrested by the police for possession of illegal weapons. He tells the police about Sheena’s murder three years later and Indrani’s alleged involvement in the crime.
- Aug 25, 2015 – Indrani Mukerjea arrested by Mumbai police.
- Aug 26, 2015 – Indrani Mukerjea’s ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna has been arrested in Kolkata.
- September 1, 2015 – Kolkata resident Siddhartha Das, former partner of Indrani Mukerjea, claims to be Sheena Bora’s biological father.
- September 18, 2015: The case is transferred to the CBI and the central agency registers an FIR against Indrani Mukerjea, Sanjeev Khanna and Shyamvar Rai.
- November 19, 2015 – Indrani’s then-husband Peter Mukerjea is arrested by the CBI.
- January 2016 – CBI files an indictment against Indrani Mukerjea and Shyamvar Rai. Later, Peter Mukerjea is also named in an additional indictment.
- January 2017 – The trial begins. A special CBI court charges Indrani, Peter Mukerjea and Sanjeev Khanna with conspiracy, kidnapping, destruction of evidence and false information in addition to the murder of Sheena Bora.
- October 4, 2019 – Indrani and Peter Mukerjea decide to end their marriage while incarcerated. Divorce granted by family court in Mumbai.
- February 6, 2020 – Peter Mukerjea is released on bail by the Bombay HC, saying there is no prima facie evidence to prove his involvement in the case.
- Feb 6, 2020 – Bombay HC rejects Indrani’s bail request, saying Shyamvar Rai has named her as the main defendant and her claims of medical conditions are exaggerated.
- March 20, 2020 – Peter Mukerjea is released from Arthur Road Jail after the CBI decided not to challenge his bail order.
- May 18, 2022 – SC grants bail to Indrani Mukerjea nearly seven years after his arrest.
- May 20, 2022 – Indrani Mukerjea released from Byculla prison.